Donate to the Friends
The sole purpose of the Friends of Copford Church registered charity is to raise funds to help the Parochial Church Council pay for the conservation of the paintings, in particular, and of the rest of the fabric of the church. From the descriptions on the Architecture & Art page, and the photographs on the Picture Gallery page, you will appreciate that this is no small endeavour.
Work by the PCC has included:
- repairs to the wall plaster, the roof, the spire and the floor
- removal of the lower plasterwork all round the church to let the walls dry out and re-plastering up to dado level
- drainage work and clearing the foundations of the church to prevent further rising damp which was damaging the paintings
- stripping of the roof and re-tiling with a mix of 75% of the old, cleaned tiles and 25% of new ones interspersed
- cleaning and conserving the paintings
- repair and relaying the stone and brick floor in the south aisle
- re-shingling the spire and tower in oak, with stainless steel backing, following severe damage to the previous cedar shingles by woodpeckers.
Much of this work was completed between 1988 and 1993, with the last two items between 2002 and 2004.
This has all been thanks, in part, to years of money-raising efforts by the Friends of Copford Church and the parishioners. We make regular and, occasionally, substantial contributions to the significant costs of the PCC’s projects. Additional grants have come from English Heritage, the Historic Churches Preservation Fund, Friends of Essex Churches and a number of other sources.
We would greatly appreciate any donations you make towards this cause. We are looking into the option of online charitable giving. If this is of interest to you, please contact us at email@example.com. Otherwise, cheques may be sent to The Treasurer, 88 School Road, Copford, Colchester, Essex, CO6 1BX.
If you are a UK tax payer, the charity receives more from your donation (at no additional cost to you) if you take advantage of Gift Aid or another tax efficient method of giving. Please contact us if you wish to know how to do this.
Thank you for your generosity.